Sunday, April 12, 2009

WEEK ONE in SK

Well, sorry for the delay. It has been really hectic. I stayed in last night to sleep, because it has been so overwhelming. In a really good way though.

SO My first day teaching was Thursday. I was really exhausted, but it went well. I found out I had to teach my Kindergarden(ish) class about Easter. Well, they are very advanced in English and reading and writing, but they are still 5 years old. I am their Main foreign teacher, meaning I have them for both of their full English classes. So when I walked in, I was told to tell them like I would explain it to them like they were American 5 year olds, i.e. explaining the Easter Bunny and eggs. SO I basically told them the Easter Bunny lays eggs!! HAHA they didn't get it any way I told them. They just wanted to paint their eggs! But afterwards my one student, Si Jun said, "Rosemary Teacher, this is my first Easter ever!" They are able to have conversations, it is really mind blowing! Then while the eggs were drying, the teacher put on a few songs for the kids to sing along. Their favorite is "HOME ON THE RANGE!" HAHA When I was a kid, I didn't even like that song. My theory is that it is a slow enough song for them to sing along.


As the day went on, I had 6 more classes. One class couldn't speak any english. I was teaching them about feelings, ie happy, sad, mad, sick etc. They are so cute, but I feel like I am talking to a brick wall :) Apparently as the year goes on they get better. Hopefully, that isn't solely on how I teach! But, I am awesome, haha!

Afterwards, my co-teachers took me out for dinner. My co-worker Jamie and I went browsing at the shops by our school. I wanted to try on a dress (yes a dress people). They wouldn't let me. They started waving their hands in front of my boobs, and were saying, "no no no no." I felt like the prostitute walking into the fancy clothing store. Oh, yeah that was Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman! So Jamie grabbed my arm to leave, and all I was thinking was, "You work on commission right? Big mistake! Huge! I have to go shopping now." :)

Then I ended up on a 3 hour scavenger hunt to drop off an art piece for a show. It was pretty fun, although, this out of shape American running up and down subway stairs. I must admit it was probably funny to watch.

Friday, I didn't have to teach, but we had a seminar at work. It was a few hours, then the staff went out for lunch. We then went to a Cherry Blossom festival. It was absolutely beautiful. I took pictures. There was so much art everywhere. People made amazing art with flowers.

Then we all went to dinner and out to a club called HO bar. It played American music. They had RED BULL on the menu. SO I asked for a Red Bull and vodka, and it was this neon green color from a little brown bottle. Tasted so funny. Oh well I am not in OHIO anymore. We ended up at this punk rock club, which had really cool graffiti.

Saturday, Karrin and I went to the E-Mart. It was like 3 or 4 floors. HUGE! And there are hundreds of workers. It was such an adventure. HAHA. So I stayed in that night. I woke up and went to this shopping area with my boss. It was really fun. We went through this traditional Korean shopping area, then to the major shopping area. It was so different. It reminds me of New York, but completely different. If that makes any sense at all.

I am going to try to post pictures tonight.

Please email me your addresses so I can send post cards and such.

Hope everything is going well there in the USA~ :)

BIG HUGS AND KISSES!

2 comments:

  1. HA! I laughed out loud thinking about hands waving in front of your boobs with people screaming "NO!"

    Too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. who is Ms. JD Midwest Outreach?

    ReplyDelete